- What is required for a healthy and green lawn
- OH&S- Safe use of equipment in the industry, and what PPE is required
- How to design and maintain a beautiful garden
- How to safely start, maintain and use a lawn mower, whipper-snippper, hedger and blower/vac.
- How it works- Safe use of machinery and tools used in the industry
- Basic business skills-including quoting for jobs, invoicing and trade maths
- How to write a cover letter- resume and search for a job in the horticulture industry
- How the weather changes my job- Summer vs winter. Dry vs wet. What to focus on and when
- Putting it to practice- One day on-site, reviewing the program
WHO SHOULD ATTEND THIS COURSE?
If you have a real attention to detail, a love of the outdoors and take pride on your work, this is the course for you.
The horticultural industry is a demanding and sometimes a physical one. Work needs to be done, even if it’s wet and cold. Hot summer days will still have you working. As you follow through the course, you’ll find out how to manage these challenges, and many others.
This program is written with many people in mind. It is a gateway into the industry. From the school leaver who wants to work outside, the job seeker who wants to work in the industry but doesn’t know where to start, to the home gardener who wants to improve their own gardening skills. There is lots to learn in this course.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
This unique program combines theoretical and hands-on field-based skills.
If creating and maintaining gardens or general landscaping skills is your passion then this is the program for you.
The program provides the learner with a broad knowledge of the following skills.
- OH&S and PPE requirements and how to handle the working conditions.
- Everyday equipment and tools, and how to start and operate them safely.
- Employability skills including cover letter, resume, values, job applications
- Business basics, time management and problem solving and quoting for a job
On completion of the course, you will have a greater understanding of the skills required to enter the industry, or have the best garden in the street.
The tricks of the trade will all fall into place.
~Places in this program are strictly limited.~
This program is offered as a pre-accredited course and is funded by ACFE through Learn Local organisations. The primary purpose of pre-accredited training programs is to provide vocational training to engage the most educationally disadvantaged learners and initiate vocational and/or employment pathways for them.
To be eligible you must at least be 18 years of age and have a Green Medicare Card (Permanent Resident or Citizen). Other eligible Visa holders include Visa (sub‐class 444 New Zealand citizen), Temporary Protection visa, East Timorese asylum seeker – Please advise if you hold one of these Visa Categories.